(AscendHealthy.com) – Sore throats can be downright miserable. The majority of sore throats are caused by viruses and can’t be treated with antibiotics. Unfortunately, this means waiting for the virus to run its course.
The good news is there are a number of home remedies that might help alleviate the pain. Let’s take a look at 6 ways to soothe sore throats.
Learn How to Alleviate the Pain of a Sore Throat.
1. Gargle With Salt Water
Gargling with salt water can help reduce throat swelling, discomfort and mucus. Try adding 1/2 teaspoon of salt to 8 ounces of warm water and stirring until the salt dissolves. Gargle for a few seconds and spit the water out without swallowing. Try gargling with salt water every few hours.
2. Drink Green Tea With Honey
Drinking warm tea with honey is known to help soothe a sore throat for a few reasons. Here are the benefits:
- Liquids can help clear the mucus membranes. Warm liquids can be particularly helpful because they can help soothe the back of the throat and reduce coughing.
- Honey can soothe the throat and reduce irritation. It also acts as a cough suppressant because its sweetness can help calm nerve endings in the throat.
- Green tea is a great choice because it offers anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and pain-relief benefits. If green tea isn’t an option, however, any tea will work.
3. Take a Hot Shower
Dry air can further irritate the throat, while moisture can help reduce swelling and loosen mucus. Breathing in the steam from a hot shower is one way to achieve this benefit. Another option is to use a humidifier or boil a pot of water to increase humidity.
4. Stay Hydrated
Dehydration makes it difficult to produce enough saliva and mucus to keep the throat lubricated. This will only cause further throat irritation, as well as inflammation and swelling. Be sure to stay hydrated with plenty of fluids, including water and warm tea.
Chicken soup broth can also help with hydration, especially because it’s high in salt. And that’s not the only benefit of eating chicken soup. It contains carnosine, a compound that has been found to help prevent flus and colds.
5. Drink a Hot Toddy
A hot toddy is a drink containing hot water, whiskey, lemon juice, honey and sometimes ginger. In addition to honey’s throat soothing benefits, it offers the following advantages for sore throat relief:
- Whiskey – A small amount of whiskey can help thin and loosen mucus. It also helps dilate the throat’s blood vessels, bringing more red and white blood cells to the area to help ward off infection. In addition, the alcohol might help relax tense muscles and encourage sleep. (Keep in mind that whiskey can cause dehydration, and it should never be mixed with OTC or prescription medications).
- Lemon – Lemon contains vitamin C, which might help ward off a cold.
- Ginger – This spice has anti-inflammatory properties, which might help soothe a sore throat.
6. Try OTC Medications
There are a number of over-the-counter (OTC) medications that can help soothe a sore throat. Consider trying out nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB) or naproxen (Aleve) to reduce the swelling and pain from a sore throat. Another option is cold medicines that are labeled for sore throat use. If the sore throat is accompanied by a cough, then cough syrup might be worth trying. Throat lozenges might also help.
Throat pain can range from annoying to miserable, but these methods may help provide some relief until the illness passes. In some cases, it’s best to see a healthcare provider. Be sure to seek medical attention if the sore throat is accompanied by a high fever, nausea and/or vomiting or severe pain when swallowing,
~Here’s to Your Healthy Ascension
Copyright 2021, AscendHealthy.com