11 NATURAL Ways to Tone This Notorious Problem Area
(AscendHealthy.com) – We tend to take for granted the definition of our youth — until, one day, the struggle begins to maintain that young, sculpted look. As we age, we lose definition, and if we don’t take measures to preserve what we have, we may see the age in our faces sooner than we’d like.
Some people might turn to extreme measures like plastic surgery to fight the jowls or double chin, but not everyone is into the idea of going so dramatic. There are subtler, far less painful alternatives that can also make a difference. Here are eleven worth trying.
Neck and Throat Tighteners
A sagging neckline can add years to any face, so shaving back the double-chin is a must to define the area. “Ageless” recommends a daily regimen of neck-tightening exercises:
- While sitting upright, head tilted back and lips shut, move the jaw as if chewing for 20 reps.
- Relax the jaw and pucker the lips, kissing at an imaginary target on the ceiling 10 times. Repeat for five reps.
- Curl the lower lip as far as possible over the upper lip, extending the bottom teeth beyond the top, and hold for 5 seconds. Do five reps.
- Stick out the tongue and reach it toward the chin for 10 seconds.
- Lie on a surface where the head can extend backward. Reach the chin up toward the chest and hold for 10 seconds. Repeat five times.
Jowls can age the face as well, and they can lengthen facial expressions and make a person look like they’re perpetually frowning. We can reduce their appearance by strengthening the muscles along the jawline. Healthline recommends:
- While sitting upright, neck straight, gently glide the head along an invisible plane parallel to the floor. Start by pulling backward, chin remaining high over the chest, then shift forward until the chin reaches out as far as comfortably possible. Do 10 times, repeating for three sets.
- Press the tongue against the roof of your mouth, positioning it just behind the front teeth. Hum to make a vibrating sound, working the muscles below.
- Open the mouth to make an exaggerated “O” and then shift to make an “E,” keeping the teeth concealed behind the lips throughout the exercise. Make each motion 15 times, repeat for three sets.
A finely sculpted jaw needs the support of a firm face, so be sure to include exercises that also address the mouth and cheeks. Facial Exercises Guide lists a few helpful suggestions:
- Puff up the cheeks so that you’ve filled both with air and then shift it from cheek to cheek several times. Do a total of five reps.
- Smile as broadly as possible without squinting the eyes; hold for up to 10 seconds. Repeat for a total of five reps.
- Close the lips into a tight smile and suck in the cheeks to make a “fish face.” Hold for five seconds and repeat for five reps.
The above exercises only take a few minutes each day, so they can become a regular part of nearly any routine. We can’t overcome all the effects of time, but we can slow them by keeping problem areas as toned as possible. A younger-looking jawline is possible, so why not start the transformation today?
~Here’s to Your Healthy Ascension
Copyright 2022, AscendHealthy.com