(AscendHealthy.com) – Our wardrobes often change a few times throughout the year, and most of our choices leave us no worse for the wear. Summer is a great time to explore new fashions and shift gears in our clothing and accessory approaches.
When it’s hot out, staying cool often becomes a priority, and our clothes are apt to reflect the need to balance comfort, style and utility. Our choices can sometimes backfire on us; buying into this one risky fashion trend could leave us at risk for health issues and injuries. We have the details.
A Pretty, Popular Mistake
Who doesn’t have a pair of flip-flops lying around at the ready for quick and easy outdoor protection against the summer heat? They’re versatile, cool — both literally and figuratively — and most are relatively cheap to buy. We might go most of our lives without suffering any effects from wearing them, but their dangers are real.
According to a podiatrist via The Healthy, we should be aware of a few possible health risks associated with wearing flip-flops:
- Plantar fasciitis, which causes excruciating heel pain when stepping down, can occur due to lacking arch support. If left unaddressed, the sufferer may also develop heel spurs.
- Hammertoe can result from clenching the toes to hold flip-flops in place.
- Metatarsalgia, also a consequence of poor arch support, causes pain in the ball of the foot.
Flip-flops can also create mechanical hazards:
- Minimal protection can leave wearers open to splinters and damage from sharp objects.
- The flimsy build can cause some wearers to trip, according to Holland Hospital, and some people may suffer falls on escalators, stairs or uneven ground.
- Shoes that slip off while the wearer is driving may obstruct the brake pedal and cause accidents.
If flip-flops are a must, experts recommend going with high-quality brands that fit well and offer good arch support. Make sure soles aren’t flimsy enough to fold in half — and no matter how nice any pair is, replace it as soon as it begins to show any signs of wear.
Never opt for flip-flops when hiking, jogging, gardening or participating in sports. Always choose boots, sneakers or running shoes for these activities.
Alternatively, consider investing in good-fitting sandals with decent arch support and straps securing the shoes to the feet. Therafit Eva Women’s Leather Adjustable Strap Slip-On Sandal, available through Amazon, and the Naot Kayla sandal, sold through Zappos, are both good choices for women. Guys might want to try Birkenstock Men’s Arizona EVA Sandals through Amazon or the 250 through New Balance.
Summer fashion can be a fun, cool change of pace, but we all might want to think twice about finishing off the look with flip-flops. They might be cheap and easy to slip on and off, but they could cost us more than the sticker price alone. With so many alternatives out there, it’s easy to stay cool and stylish without compromising on safety.
~Here’s to Your Healthy Ascension
Copyright 2021, AscendHealthy.com